The 126 Quarterly Magazine is an ambitious project in which 126 will coordinate and produce a four part visual art publication that will highlight the activities of 126 and its members in 2015, provide a platform for interaction with new nationally relevant research, review cultural events in the western region and reflect on and celebrate the 10 year anniversary of 126.
Each of the four editions of the Quarterly Magazine will feature contributions from arts writers and practitioners including Ciara Healy, Conor McGrady, Gavin Murphy, Gregory McCartney, Joanne Laws, John Mulloy, Maeve Mullrennan, Michaele Cutaya, Nora O’Murchú, Paul Fahy, Ruth Morrow, Sarah Searson, Valerie Connor among many others. Exhibiting artists and 126 members will be profiled and interviewed. Ex board members of 126 will recount stories about the gallery over the last 10 years.
The Quarterly Magazine will be a 24 page, full colour, A3 folded to A4 publication. It will be a unique and collectible visual art publication. This project is kindly supported by the Arts Council Project Award 2015.
We are offering contracts for two paid positions in the production of the four part magazine, those positions are for an Editor and a Graphic Designer of the publication.
Contract 1: EDITOR
Activities will include planning and organising the logistics related to the production of the Magazine, commissioning of writers and artists, discussing layout, writing and artwork with the 126 board of directors and the graphic designer and ensuring on-time delivery from printers.
Responsibilities of the contract will include:
• overseeing the layout, appearance and content of feature articles;
• generating ideas for features with 126 board of directors;
• commissioning articles from freelance writers;
• editing and re-writing articles, some of which may be rejected or returned to the writer for revision;
• overseeing artwork, design and photography for the features section of the magazine;
• organising meetings with 126 board of directors, writers and artists to discuss ideas for artwork, layout and features;
• understanding and complying with media law and industry ethical guidelines;
• selecting feature articles for each issue;
• sending out briefs to writers, which can include word count, deadline, fee and writing style;
• final proofreading of all pages before going to print;
• raising the profile of the magazine;
• assisting other staff to meet their deadlines;
• ensuring on time delivery of the magazine at each publication launch;
• maintaining a high standard of production value throughout the four editions.
Applicants should have experience with, or comprehensive knowledge of contemporary visual art. We are seeking a professional with a degree or higher qualification in fine arts, art history, critical writing or related discipline with emphasis on contemporary visual culture. Applicants should have an understanding of the activities and functionality of artist led organisations in Ireland.
Applicants should send a personal statement outlining their reasons for applying and what they would bring to the project (Max 400 words) and a C.V. of relevant experience.
Deadline for applications is Friday the 9th of January 2015 at 6pm, please title the email “Application: Magazine Editor”. Interviews will be held on the 14th & 15th of January.
Contract 2: GRAPHIC DESIGNER
The contract demands creative ability, up-to-date knowledge of industry software and a professional approach to time, costs and deadlines. The successful applicant will develop creative ideas and concepts, choosing the appropriate layout and design to meet the objectives of the 126 Magazine. The graphic designer will work closely with the editor and the 126 board of directors.
Responsibilities of the contract will include:
• developing a design concept for the four editions of the Magazine;
• meet with Magazine editor and 126 directors to coordinate the appearance of each edition of the Magazine;
• estimating the time required to complete the work;
• developing design briefs by gathering information and data through research;
• thinking creatively to produce new ideas and concepts;
• presenting finalised ideas and concepts to the editor and 126 board of directors;
• proofreading to produce accurate and high-quality work;
• contributing ideas and design artwork to the overall brief;
• working on layouts and artworking pages ready for print and for online PDF version;
• design of Magazine logo and advertisements from local sponsors;
• keeping abreast of emerging technologies in new media, particularly design programs such as InDesign, QuarkXPress, FreeHand, Illustrator, Photoshop, 3ds Max, Acrobat, Director, Dreamweaver and Flash;
• working as part of a team with the printers, editor, 126 directors, artists, other designers and 126 web designer.
Applicants should have experience with, or comprehensive knowledge of contemporary visual art. We are seeking a professional with a degree or higher qualification in graphic design or related discipline. Applicants should have experience working on high quality print design projects and should also have a thorough understanding of production and rendering methods.
Applicants should send a C.V. and short personal statement outlining their reasons for applying and what they would bring to the project (Max 200 words) and a portfolio of previous work demonstrating their ability.
Deadline for applications is Friday the 9th of January 2015 at 6pm, please title the email “Application: Magazine Graphic Designer”. Interviews will be held on the 14th & 15th of January.